Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Worrying Whitaker

Note from Hollis: Uncle Harvey Lee and Dorothy are still on their round the world trip. I found a few notes Harvey Lee had given me and will share a few with you while he is away.

There were a old man Whitaker, Josephus Whitaker, what lived in Harper a few years ago. Back in around 1950 he heard a fellow talking about all he had to worry about and Whitaker told him for a dollar a month he would do his worrying for him. And you know what that fellow taken him up on it. So ever time anybody passed by the Whitaker house they could see Josephus sitting on the porch in his rocker with this real worried look on his face. I mean winter and summer. Now I reckon y'all know the term "word of mouth." Well that's what happened and before long Whitaker were getting twenty-one dollars a month from folks what wanted him to do their worrying. I told him he ought to take a ad out in the paper and no telling how many peoples would pay him to do their worrying too. He told me he didn't care to do that. He said twenty-one peoples was about all the worrying he could handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment