Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

If It Ain't Broke....

Lem Bedweather came into the barbershop this morning with dirty pants and muddy boots. One of the fellows asked if he had been wallowing with his pigs.

Lem said, "No, I ain't been in the sty. I been moving my satellite dish back into the front yard where it sat for twenty years. My wife has been after me for nineteen and a half years to move it to the back. I asked her if she hadn't heard about New Coke and told her 'If it ain't broke I ain't gonna fix it.'  But last week I weakened and did dig it up and moved it. The conception warn't no good back there and my wife's stories, you know that come on right after noontime kept getting interrupted with snow, kinda like when we first got the TV, doncha know? What broke the camel's back was a blackout just when they announced whether or not this guy, Tom, was the daddy of Susan's baby. That sent Mary Leigh into a stream of tears like I ain't never seen before. Anyway, it just warn't working. So I moved it back where it belonged."

Just so y'all understand, Lem's satellite ain't one of the new, smaller versions but a great big one, like the ones NASA reaches out into space trying to receive communications from other life out in the universe. It is an eyesore, but it is on his property. I long since accepted it and consider it one of the seven wonders of Harper County, right up there with Bernard Biggs leaning silo and Billy Joe Berkson's two acre plot of weeping willow trees.


No comments:

Post a Comment