Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Friday, November 14, 2014

Settling Down in the Big House (from Dec 2010)


I reckon y'all gonna think I'm getting soft and y'all probably right. Living in my fishing cabin was good for me, but it sure is more comfortable here in the big house. This is where I was born and lived while I was married to Bethel, Mary Ann, and Trixie. It wasn't till after Trixie run off with that tent preacher that I moved down to the end of the lake. I was happy there, but Dorothy, my friend that's a girl, said she thought I ought to stay here for the time being. Her cafe ain't more'n a couple of blocks away and she can look after me better. 

She has one of her part-time women come by every day and clean and stuff and if I don't make it down to the cafe,  Dorothy brings my food by. The woman who comes by is Florene Getz. She has a sick husband at home and the money I pay her comes in right handy to her situation. She always lights a fire in any room where I might go and I just snuff 'em out when I go to bed. Yeah, living in the big house ain't too bad.

 Besides Hollis' family lives next door, about half a mile away, so he can drop by when ever he want's to. His girl friend is going to London for study and he ain't too happy about it. I think it might be good for them two to have a few miles between them. Kinda cool things down, doncha know. 

Tomorrow: Hollis Makes an Offer



No comments:

Post a Comment