Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Isle of Wight (from Jan 2011)


Y'all probably remember that one of the things I read about in those leaflets Hollis brought to me was about a place where Queen Victoria stayed a lot. It's Osborne House on the Isle of Wight. On the way there we went by almost every kind of transportation you ever heard of. We walked to the tube station, took the tube to the railway station, rode the train to the port, rode a hovercraft to the island, took a bus to the gates of Osborne House, was picked up by a man and his kid driving a carriage with some kind of little horse pulling it. Wow! 

Osborne House ain't like no castle or palace. It's just a big ole house. A nice house but no palace. We seen where the queen slept and died and her husband's bathroom, where she was laid out after she died and where she wrote her letters, and a bunch of other things. The yard was big and pretty.

 We ate at this little restaurant on the grounds. I had what they called winter soup. It was full of vegetables and had turnips in it. I ain't never had soup with turnips but I'm gonna tell Dorothy and get her to make me some when I get home; Lord willing I do. 

We was having good weather, not too cold or rainy. But when we left the house and was waiting for the bus, it come up a real heavy rain. We was still wet some when we got back to the flat.

Tomorrow: Churches


No comments:

Post a Comment