Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Guilt

Guilt are a good thing. If it warn't for guilt I would probably still be drinking and running around with loose womens. But ever thing need to be taken upon with moderation. Me and Willie was out fishing this morning and we started talking about our friendship. Willie, as you may remember, are my AfroAmerican friend. And has been since we was young kids. Back when all the rough stuff were going on down here in the South we decided that we warn't gonna let nothing get in the way of our feelings about each other. We has stayed friends for all these years and will be until one of us dies. But there never were no guilt involved; for either one of us. Willie told me one day that it warn't no need for me to be worrying about how my grandfather or even my daddy had behaved. It were enough to take the blame for my own actions. And the same for him. That's the way Willie are. I ain't never seen him walking around without his head held up high. He's always smiled and greeted peoples,  of all colors, as if they was the same. And you know what, peoples tended to treat him the same way. The peoples what mattered, anyway. So I ain't gonna let guilt butt in on what ball player I pulls for, or who I votes for, or nothing like that. If I have a conscience it are Willie. If I go wrong it ain't his nature not to tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment