Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Monday, February 11, 2013

Dorothy and Her English

I reckon y'all know when I let Hollis talk me into doing this blog thing, I agreed, with one little demand; that he write it the way I say it. Well I got a little confession. What I meant was that he write it down the way I talk when I tell my stories. I don't always slaughter the English language in my every day speech, not that I speak perfectly. Dorothy wouldn't let me use my "story language" when she was around. If y'all have been reading this blog for a while you may remember Dorothy went to Millsaps and got a degree in English. She taught school for three years before her father died and it became necessary to come home and help her mother in the cafe they owned. Dorothy has been reading my blog lately and has given her opinion that the language needs to be cleaned up. She thinks it may be confusing to all the readers from other countries. I told her I would try it. So from this day forward I will talk to Hollis more like I do when I talk to Dorothy and he will try to write it down that way. Hollis tells me it will be easier on him to do this. And unless my readership drops off or I get a lot of complaints I will continue to do it that way. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment