Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Friday, February 8, 2013

Dorothy's Way of Cooking

A lot of womens 'round here, what is known to be pretty good cooks, will take a pork chop, pour over it some mushroom soup, stick it in the oven and serve their families a pretty good supper. Not Dorothy. She has to take real mushrooms, real cream, real herbs and spices, and mix 'em up in a bowl before she pours it over the pork chop what has already been powdered down with flour and more herbs and spices. I ain't sure I'm telling it right but I know she goes to a lot of trouble and can do it all without it looking like it are a lot of trouble. She told me one time that the other stuff tastes pretty good but she would not be able to serve it 'cause she would know for herself that in warn't done right. One day when Dorothy were out of town I found a can of soup in the pantry and wanted to warm it up for my dinner. There warn't no can opener in the drawer and I had to run down to the hardware store to get one. When Dorothy were back and were fixing some food in the kitchen she called me in and were holding the can opener in her hand. "Where did this thing come from," she asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment