Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Wanting and Needing

Late yesterday afternoon I was down at the seed and feed store picking up a few things when I heard this fellow say, "Man, I need a drink." He had been lifting heavy sacks on to the back of his pickup and if anybody ever looked like he needed a drink this fellow did. It kinda got me to thinkings about the difference in wanting something and really needing it. I can remember back when I used to get a new car every three years ago because I thought I needed a new car. I could figure out reasons like the cost of maintenance, new tires, etc. but really I wanted a new car more than I needed one. I can see that now. The way I look at it if somebody really need a drink they have a problem and need, yes need, to seek help. The way I see it if we can figure out what we really need and only get that, our bank accounts will be running over with money. Not everybody but most of us. My car is eighteen years old, a '95 Mercedes, and it gets about 40 miles to the gallon. Every now and then I want to get a new one. I think you can see I don't need one.
Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment