Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Grits

I reckon y'all remember Dorothy runs a cafe here in Harper. Since we got married she has help and doesn't have to be there all the hours the place is open, but she still runs it. The cafe serves three meals a day, Monday through Saturday. We are closed on Sunday. Our meals are breakfast, dinner (most people call it lunch), and supper (most people call it dinner.) The breakfast menu is available all hours the place is open, so you can come in at six o'clock at night and order bacon, eggs, and grits. A lot of y'all may not know about grits. Grits is made from corn. Here it is a must with any breakfast meal and now people eat grits with shrimp or fish. Even restaurants up North have started to serve shrimp and grits. We have a lot of people passing through town and Dorothy's cafe is often recommended as a place to get good Southern cooking so many of them come by. Just the other day I was taking to a fellow from Wisconsin and he was asking about grits. After I told him all about it, I had Lester, one of the guys who works for Dorothy, bring out a bowl and offered it to Mr. Wisconsin as a free sample. He told me no thanks. He said he just didn't think he could get it down. His attitude sort of made me mad. I asked him, "Do you think you could get it down if I gave him a big hunk of cheese to wash it down with." I reckon I shouldn't have said that but you know what people say about cheese heads.



No comments:

Post a Comment