Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Sunday, March 2, 2014

What Missing Means

Leffords McKinley was in the barbershop yesterday talking about this old mutt that has been hanging around his place for a year or so. It's run off or something. He says he ain't seen it for a week or so. Somebody said, "Do you miss him?" Leffords said, "Yeah, I reckon I do. I reckon I do miss him." And somebody else said, "Well, you can always get another dog." And Leffords said, "That ain't exactly how I miss him. I miss him like I missed that toothache I had till I got that molar extracted by Doc Withroe. I miss him like I miss mowing my yard in the fall and winter. I miss him like I miss the gruel they served for breakfast in that foster home where I grew up. That's how I miss that old mutt who ate my newspaper every day. Why that old dog never learned where or when to poop and I was always having to clean it off my shoes. Yeah, I miss him a lot." I been thinking about that ever since. Now when somebody tells me they are going to miss me, I'll have to think twice about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment