Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Love Connection

I read this thing on the interweb where this fellow, Chuck something-or-another, claims that the one you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person. This ain't always so. And when it's not it's dynamite. My first wife, Bethel, and me had a great relationship and it would have been close to perfect if it weren't for the drinking and running around I practiced during the middle years of our marriage. Bethel was a strong woman who really loved me and she fixed things up. I can't tell you how but she got me straightened out and we lived the rest of our years together in a happy state of things. After she died from cancer I married Mary Kate, the Catholic, mostly to get somebody to help me with my kids. I don't reckon neither one of us loved the other because there wasn't a lot of closeness in out marriage, that is after the first night when we saw we weren't cut out to be lovers. She got hit by a streetcar in New Orleans so I don't know if we ever would have fit together. I doubt it though. Then I met Trixie. Her name ought to be enough to tell you about her. She's the one who ran off with that tent preacher. She still calls every now and then and claims I was the only one she really loved. But I know that can't be true. Now, Dorothy. Dorothy and me both love each other. Maybe not in the same heated way me and Bethel got on. But me and Bethel were real young and needed different things than me and Dorothy require. Well, I gotta run. I promised Dorothy I would help her cook a pork loin for dinner. When I say help I mean stay in the kitchen with her and chat while she rushes around doing her thing. Yeah, me and Dorothy really do love one another. 


No comments:

Post a Comment