Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Duty of an Ex-smoker

I used to smoke. But I gave it up when it got too inconvenient. My first wife Bethel wasn't one to nag but she had little ways to move me in the direction she wanted me to go. She never said a word against my cigarette habit, but I could tell by the look on her face that kissing somebody who had been puffing away all day was not a pleasant thing for her. I spent so much time deodorizing and washing away the after-effects of smoking that I just quit.

I have never considered it my duty to confront those who have continued to smoke. It bothers me to see people who persist in doing stupid things and I reckon smoking would have to be placed into that category. But I am not compelled to preach to them on the subject.

Not so with Dennis Dumble. Dennis smoked for forty years and after his third heart attack decided to quit. He became an anti-smoking missionary and walks up to any poor soul who is blowing smoke and chastises them in the most heated way. I have often wondered how he can get away with this without getting a black eye or busted nose, but he, so far, is unscathed. It may be because he is such a little man and looks like a single punch would send him to the afterlife. And it may be his thick glasses. We were all taught as youngsters not to ever hit a fellow who was wearing glasses. In fact, I overheard this fellow one day who was getting the full Dennis Dumble treatment say, "Whoa, fellow. Take off them glass and say that."

Anyway, like I said I ain't one to preach to anybody else. At least not until I am living a life that is free from all wrong. And since that ain't likely to happen all I can say is if you want to smoke, then smoke. But I still think that if you do you are stupid.


No comments:

Post a Comment