Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Getting Ahead

Dorban Putz started a conversation down at the barbershop this morning. He said, "Them what has gets and them what ain't don't."
Harlow Jenkerson said "Well, I started with nothing, I mean nothing, and now I own three businesses. So you're not exactly right, Dorban."
Dorban lives down by the lake in a fishing trailer. He was married but his wife left him years ago. He makes his living rowing for fishermen and working around the fishing camp.
"Well, it may be, Harlow, but you got a lot of breaks," said Dorban.
"I'd say it was mostly hard work that brought me through," said Harlow. "I worked two jobs and went to school at night to get my degree."
"I never saw no need for schooling. I know some folks that went all the way through school and they ain't doing too good," replied Dorban. "Nope it warn't schoolin', it were just pure-de-oh bad luck, in my case."
"Yeah, I reckon you're right," said Harlow.
For my part I didn't see how any comment from me would advance the argument, one way or the other.


No comments:

Post a Comment