Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Which Comes First

I heard this morning that people can't get jobs because they don't have enough on-the-job training. And they can't get on-the-job training because they can't get jobs. It's what they call a catch 22. Or which came first the chicken or the egg? A dog chasing his tail. When I was just a young'n one of my friends had an overprotective mother. She was always afraid he was gonna get his eye put out with a baseball gone awry, a misfired BB gun, or even the chance he would crash into a low lying branch. She was also extremely concerned about drowning. I actually heard her tell the boy that he couldn't go swimming until he learned how to swim. This friend came to one of our class reunions a few years back (I am an honorary member of the high school class of 1949, even though I did not go that far in school.) The guy had so many hangups I can't begin to tell them all. Seemed like all he did was throw salt over his shoulder, step on only the darker tiles on the floor, and avoid a little black cat that was hanging around the door of our meeting place. He told me he never got married because he never found anybody he thought would work out. Back to those jobs, looks like to me somebody somewhere has just got to use common sense, pick out an applicant that looks like they would be a good worker and a fast learner, and take a chance now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment