Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Monday, March 18, 2013

On Adoring

If I told y'all every one of my uncles, my daddy's brothers, loved their wives that would be an understatement. They adored them. I think it all came from the fact their daddy, my grandpa, was one to run around on their mother. Eventually, he left her and married a younger woman. I think that had an effect on his boys. I remember how they all were attentive and constant to their wives' needs. When I told Dorothy about this her first thought was they were uxorious. But when I looked up that word it just didn't fit. The way I see it, if a man is uxorious his wife would have to play a part in it. She would demand things and none of my aunts did. They didn't need to. Every birthday, every Mother's Day, Christmas, Easter, and anniversary was honored with flowers or candy. Giving candy was real big in those days. I remember my daddy and all his brothers walking around with their wives, holding their hands or with their arm around them. They opened their car doors and made sure the lawn was mowed and were always asking what they could do for their spouses. And the wives adored them back. I won't say I never saw any arguments or disputes, but I always had the feeling they were truly happy. It was a real nice way to grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment