Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Friday, March 1, 2013

Wilbert Whitmire's Diary

One of my problems is trying to come up with something everyday to put on this little blog. I figure it needs to be a little bit funny. Even if it don't make people fall on the floor laughing at least it needs to bring out a chuckle or two. My old great uncle, Wilbert Whitmire, always kept a diary and he wrote in everyday from 1845 to 1892. I mean every day. Wilbert obviously never meant to be the least bit funny. You can go through page after page and it seems like you're reading the same thing over and over again. I didn't inherit this old book but actually found it in an antique shop in Liberty, Mississippi. Liberty is the town where they claim a man stood on the corner and yelled out, "If this is Liberty, give me death." That of course is a made up story, one that the Libertarians, or what ever you call them, are tired of hearing. So if you ever happen to be in Liberty do not use this little joke, It won't be taken that way and nothing good will come from telling it. But back to the old diary. Here is just one page:
           Got up at 5:30 this morning. The sun come up at 6:30. After a breakfast of biscuits, sausage, eggs, top cream, and molasses, I went out to check on my mule. He seemed better but was still a lot gassy. Getting my house garden ready. I worked with hand plow until about 11 AM. Came in for a light lunch of butterbeans and rice. No tomatoes this time of year. Miss them. Hooked up Nellie for a ride into town to check on them seeds I ordered from Barnaby's. They hadn't come in. Got back just before dark. Ate a glass of cornbread and buttermilk, what I call Crumble-in. Read out of the book of Acts, said my prayers, and jumped in bed around 8 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment