Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Oyster Day

Superbowl Sunday around here could also be called Oyster Day. I made a run to New Orleans and brought back several dozen oysters. Dorothy has a number of recipes using oysters as the main ingredient. My job is to get the pit ready. We have this hole in our back yard, down close to the lake, with a rectangle of metal over it. I build a fire in the pit and we put oysters in the shell on top and roast them. For those that like their oysters raw, Dorothy has prepared several sauces (my favorite is her cocktail sauce which has just the right amount of horseradish to suit my taste) and they are set around on tables under tents. The weather is not being cooperative and with fog early and rain predicted at game time so we will probably have everybody inside. Hollis is bringing over a couple of extra widescreens and will have them all hooked up in rooms that normally aren't used for TV watching. All in all we are looking forward to a great day. Some people will watch the game, but everybody will eat.



Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle
Coming soon: More Tales of Harper (an ebook on Amazon)

1 comment:

  1. We used to go to great oyster roasts as a child. Yummy. I love oysters anyway. Makes me want some now.

    ReplyDelete