Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Cousin Maudie and Her Clothes

I got a cousin, Maudie, that lives over in the next county. She collects clothes. Her husband, we call him Forebearing Fred, has never put his foot down even though a lot of the family income goes to support her habit. He even built a large barn to accommodate her excesses. You would have to see it to believe it. The sad thing is a lot of her things have never been worn. The price tags are still in place and they are hung on long rows of racks with no organization that I can figure out. We were out there last week and Fred took me on a tour. He complained of not knowing how to solve this monumental problem. I was my usual frank self. I told him I was certain he did know the solution to his dilemma. It was a lack action not a matter of ignorance. He said it would make Maudie very unhappy if he forced her into any kind of temperance. I told him he was not thinking of Maudie's feeling but of how this would affect him. He got a little huffy but when I left we were on good terms. Think of all the good those clothes would do if they were hanging on the backs of needy people instead of all those plastic hangers in a barn.



Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle
Coming soon: More Tales of Harper (an ebook on Amazon)

No comments:

Post a Comment