Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Monday, February 17, 2014

Things People Used to Say

I came across a coffee mug the other day that had the words MAKE HASTE printed on it. It got me to thinking about my grandmother and how she used those words all the time. Now you hardly ever hear anybody using that expression. As I recalled my grandmother, it prompted the thought of other things we heard growing up. Phrases like: I'll swanee, gracious plenty, pretty nigh, bye the bye, and "be still my heart." Words like: tribulation, tyro, and breadth were commonly used; today, not so much. My grandmother used the word pray instead of please, "Pray, come in and have a seat." Gentle talk, doncha know? I miss all that gentle talk.



Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle
Coming soon: More Tales of Harper (an ebook on Amazon)

No comments:

Post a Comment