Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Waste

When I was a kid we were encouraged to clean our plates at every meal. I should probably have written  encouraged in all-caps. We were told to appreciate our full plate because children in China were starving. When I was very young the image that came to mind was that my leaving a single pea at dinner would result in excruciating pain and death for a youngster over there. As I grew older the habit of eating everything stayed with me. When I had children around I even finished the things they left uneaten. Then one day someone told me that old expression, "Waste is better than waist."
With Dorothy the problem of leftover food is no longer an issue. She is the best I have seen when it comes to using all food in house. And her food is delicious. We have two freezers and Dorothy makes good use of them. She makes wonderful soups with whatever veggies she finds in the downstair freezer. One good thing about it all the soups are different to a degree. I must emphasize they are all good. I wish y'all could come over one of these cold winter nights to see what I'm talking about.



Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle
Coming soon: More Tales of Harper (an ebook on Amazon)

No comments:

Post a Comment