Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Friday, October 10, 2014

Aftermath (from Nov 2010)



You know I ain't thought about it much, but Miss June if she's still breathing would be more'n ninety years old. She don't know it I guess but she caused a whole bunch of trouble for Harper County by not revealing her husband’s lover. When I was a teenager and even when I was a young married man, I took notice of some of the old womens at church giving the evil eye to the young pretty womens. And you know even after they found out they was wrong they just kept right on gossiping about other peoples. I guess they figured since there wasn't no special words saying directly "Thou shalt not gossip" they was home free. I reckon they excused it as not bearing false witness since they wasn’t absolutely sure it was false witness.

And worse than that Harper lost some of its innocence. A lot of it. Since then we've had dozens of murders in the county and drugs are everywhere and mens is beating up on womens. Not to mention all the babies borned who will never know who they daddy is. Yeah, I think Miss June was the start of all that. A feller said to me they have stuff like that going on everywhere and Miss June wasn't in all them places. And I said I reckon she was in a way, but her name just wasn't June.

Tomorrow: A Call from Jack



No comments:

Post a Comment