Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Oil (from Nov 2010)


Some people have contacted my great nephew, Hollis, privately, with concern about me living in near poverty. Just to clear things up, I ain't got no money problems. Oil. Years ago they struck oil on some property my daddy bought when he come back to Harper after the war. People thought he was crazy. They wondered why he wanted to buy land that just sat there and had a tax bill every year, taxes to make the sheriff rich. But daddy said no telling what that property could do for him. It's a shame he didn't live to see how much money it brought in. Anyway my mamma seen it. But none of us act like we got a dime over just getting by. Kinda runs in my family. Besides I hate to buy cars or clothes of any kind, especially underwear. Who cares if you got holes in your shorts. Besides who would know? Unless you had to go to the hospital and wasn't awake enough to hold on to your pants.

Not too many people have no idea how much money I got and I ain't telling now. But I got enough to last me a long time. And people around here know that Hollis ain't paying all this attention to me because I got a lot of money. His grandpa, my daddy's brother, bought up more land than my daddy. So, Hollis is doing all right.

Tomorrow: Pursued by the Churches



No comments:

Post a Comment