Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Friday, October 3, 2014

The Doctor's Wife (from Oct 2010)


The doctor's wife, like I said, was a real beauty. Her name was June and she was Miss Something Creek, Michigan and was a runner up for Miss Michigan. I forget the actual town, but we always called it Battle Creek 'cause we knew a lot about Battle Creek 'cause we all ate cereal and that's where we sent box tops for prizes. I once got an entire set of World War I soldiers with tanks and trucks and weapons and even one airplane. I think some of it is still in my old footlocker in the attic of the big house which is now closed up for the most part.

Most of us young boys was in puppy love with Ms. Doctor June (that's what we called her with her husband being a doctor, and all.) One of my friends had found a picture of her in her contest gown. He had it stuck on the wall of his bedroom right along side Betty Grable and Jean Harlow, He said it was sitting on top of their trash waiting for the garbage truck to come pick it up. I always thought he was rummaging through their refuse to find something of hers. But he always denied that.

Well anyway, we was standing there, Willie and me, and had sort edged closer to the house, when we seen the undertaker pull up. Him and his assistant took a stretcher inside and was in there a long time. About half an hour later here they come, both of 'em, and they was carrying a stretcher with a body, all covered in a white sheet. We was wondering whose body it was and nobody would tell us nothing. We wouldn't ask the sheriff and Silent Schultz wasn't saying nothing.

Tomorrow: The Sheet Slips Up



No comments:

Post a Comment