Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Opening Up the Big House (from Nov 2010)


Like I told y'all I been living down in my fishing cabin for a while now. It's big enough for me and easy to keep up. I was raised in a big house about half way around the lake from town. It used to belong to my momma's family. They was big in the town. Her daddy was a judge. I been before him a couple of times myself, when I was a young'n. Like I told y'all, my daddy was wounded in WWII and died a year after he come back. My momma never recovered, but she kept up the house and after me and Bethel got married we moved in with her. Momma died back in 1949. 

We didn't have to worry too much about money and we really didn't have to worry after the oil money came in. Sometimes I think I might have made more of myself if I hadn't had all them dollars coming up out of the ground. But that's okay. I done alright.

Me and Hollis been going up to the big house everyday, airing it out and sending the curtains to the cleaners and stuff like that. We even got some carpet cleaners in and hired a woman to scrub it up real good. My friend Dorothy looks in on us to make sure we doing everything right.

Tomorrow: Finishing Touches


No comments:

Post a Comment