Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Saturday, October 4, 2014

The Sheet Slips Up (from Nov 2010)


Like I was telling y'all the undertaker and his flunky was carrying out this stretcher with a body all covered in white sheets. I forget the undertakers's name, probably on purpose. He was kinda creepy with long, skinny arms and long, skinny fingers and you know what, his eye teeth was real long. We kids used to think he was a vampire, but we wasn't too worried cause we figured he had plenty of blood to drink, if that's what he was after, as long as people kept dying which we figured they would. It's like I told this stranger visiting Harper last year. We was having a bunch of rain. I mean more'n usual and this fellow walked up to me as I was sitting out under the shed in front of the bus station. He asked me if I thought it was ever gonna stop raining. Well, I told him it always had. I mean somethings you can just count on. People dying, rain stopping, and strangers asking stupid questions. I asked this stranger where he was from and he said Louisiana. That's all I needed to know. Anyway we figured folks would keep on dying, of course, at that time we had no idea some of 'em was gonna get murdered.

Willie and me got as close as we could and lo and behold if that flunky didn't lose his footing and he almost dropped that stretcher. What happened was, the sheet slipped up enough to show a man's shoe, all polished and everything.

Tomorrow: The Bloody Spot



No comments:

Post a Comment