Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Jack Arrives

Jack come in today. He drove up in a rented car with a Louisiana tag on it. And with him was his wife, a pretty woman of the Chinese persuasion, and two of his grand-kids, two good looking boys. You could count on Jack to have good looking people around him.
His wife, Lou Ann, was real nice to me. She kept bringing me things like coffee and cake and other treats. I liked her right off. And the boys couldn't get enough of my accent and the way I talked. They kept asking me to tell them about this and that--how the lake was made and named and what kind of fish we had in it.
They was named Franklin and Benjamin. I ain't joking. They was ten and eleven and had different mamas and daddies, but they looked enough alike to be brothers. I got them to tell me all about their life in California, but they seemed more interested in life in Harper.
Them boys almost fainted when Willie and me went out fishing together. They said this warn't what they heard about Mississippi. I said, " Well, if y'all won't believe everything you heard about Mississippi, I won't believe everything I heard about California."
Tomorrow: What Jack Had to Say About Bill

Hollis' funny names:
Perry Stall's sis is a mover
Oliver Moore is more devoted to his wife today than yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment