Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Thursday, November 18, 2010

My Friend Dorothy

Dorothy runs the cafe in Harper. She is without a doubt the best cook in the world. It's because of the different kinds of things she makes. Like tripe in cream and onion sauce and catfish in tomato and okra sauce. She makes it all without breaking a sweat and she don't have no writ down recipes. It's all in her head. I asked her what we would do if she ever got where she couldn't cook. And she said, well you wouldn't be able to eat at Dorothy's Cafe would you? Most everything she makes comes from the lake or local farms, not much bussed in, don't you know.
Dorothy is more'n a cook to me. We are what I like to call special friends. It's not like we do a lot of cuddling or anything like that, but we love to sit in the swing on her front porch and talk or not talk, whatever we want to do.
Like I told y'all I been married three times. Dorothy ain't never been married. Her boyfriend was killed in Viet Nam, early on. I guess you can tell from that she's a lot younger than me. But that's okay. I knowed her since she was a little girl. I guess that's why I hold her in such great respect.
Tomorrow: My Friend Willie

Hollis' funny names:
Vera Rude is not a nice person
Miss Bea Haven is out of control

No comments:

Post a Comment