Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Friday, November 19, 2010

My Friend Willie

Jack will be here, I think, on Tuesday. Maybe Wednesday. I have to wonder what kind of surprise he's bringing. That's what he told Hollis. Me and Hollis got the big house ready. Dorothy gave her blessing on our work, so I'm sitting around waiting. I'm gonna round up my friend Willie and we gonna go fishing. Me and Willie fish together at least once a week. Willie would be the one I would have put in Reader's Digest as my most unforgettable character. He has made a great life for himself and his family and without all the advantages he would have had if he was white. All his kids, all eight of 'em, finished college. I'll tell about them later. They are all good people. And his wife is the perfect mate, I think. She don't put up with no foolishness though. From Willie or me. She come over one day back when I was drinking and gave me what for. I didn't stop right that day, but I think she got me lined up to give up all that bad stuff. Back when my oil money come in I tried to give Willie some help, with all those children, you know. He wouldn't hear about it. I did sneak in a little scholarship money to some of the schools for a few of his kids. Don't want him to know. He won't be reading any of this, cause I made Hollis promise not to spread the word around Harper. You know about me doing these little stories.
Tomorrow: Willie's Kids

Hollis' funny names:
Mose Ian Down is laid back
Adelia Card is from Vegas

No comments:

Post a Comment