Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Saturday, January 25, 2014

A Funny Guy

Clairborne Burnside is a funny guy. But not everybody appreciates his sense of humor. Actually very few people get what he's saying. This morning, as example, he came into the barbershop with a mischievous look in his eye. We all stopped what we were talking about and waited for him to speak.

He did speak. "This morning I read my Bible verse as I usually do and this is it."

Then he read to us from a little piece of paper he was holding:
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 

After a pause, he said, "I've been thinking about this all the way down here and I have determined I ain't got nothing to say. Nothing to say to none of you."

With that Claiborne turned and walked out. I reckon you got to understand that guy to see where he's coming from. One thing I know he'll be back tomorrow with more of his silliness. 



Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle
Coming soon: More Tales of Harper (an ebook on Amazon)



No comments:

Post a Comment