Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Picture Show

When I was a boy movies were called picture shows. We went a lot, sometimes three or four times a week. I reckon this was partly because it didn't cost much, but mostly because we didn't have TV's, DVD, or any other of those other letters available to us. I would get off work, walk down to the theater, watch a show, and then walk home late at night. It was spooky and I was scared each time I made that walk, but not scared enough to make me skip a picture show. Today, the movie house is closed. The seats sit empty. Even in the next county which is bigger than Harper County all the movie theaters are closed. We were discussing this at the barbershop this morning and one fellow said he thought the situation was a lot like Los Angeles not having a professional football team. I shook my head and said, "Yeah, it's just like Los Angles not having a football team." Come on now.



Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle
Coming soon: More Tales of Harper (an ebook on Amazon)

No comments:

Post a Comment