Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Friday, January 17, 2014

Doorknobs

Doorknobs have only one purpose, opening doors. Or do they? When I was a boy I had an old aunt who saved all the rubber bands she came across by hooking them over her bedroom doorknob. When it got too full she would throw away all the old ones and start over. I never figured that out but I reckon it was kind of a hobby. The main secondary use of doorknobs was hanging your coat or sweater there when you came in out of the cold. Winter months would find a coat on almost every doorknob that was available. My Uncle Seldrew came up with the idea of making a coatrack out of doorknobs and he did. Much to his dismay the coatrack stood empty while the knobs on the doors were covered as usual.
I was telling Hollis about this and he looked on the interweb and found a bunch of other people who had come up with this doorknob coatrack idea. I hope they were more successful than Uncle Seldrew.



Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle
Coming soon: More Tales of Harper (an ebook on Amazon)

1 comment:

  1. There was a doctor in my home town who did this, but he had the rack along one wall of his waiting room at 36-inches above the floor, like regular doorknobs. There's something mystical about that height, because it seemed to do the trick..

    ReplyDelete