Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Monday, November 26, 2012

Mark Twain (Hollis)

Uncle Harvey Lee, whenever he sees me reading, tells me I should read Mark Twain. Of course, I read several of Twain's works while in high school and I did enjoy them, but last week I came across a book with the collected writing of Twain and bought it for less than ten dollars. Since then I have not been able to put it down. So many things written over a century ago apply to the happenings of today. Mark Twain's ability to use the right word(s) to express just what he wants to say is amazing. To paraphrase Mark himself: There is as much difference in the right word and the wrong word as there is in lightning and the lightning bug. I can't express my appreciation of this author better than Uncle Harvey Lee's comment: "What this country needs right now are another Mark Twain." Well, I guess I could express it better grammatically but not with regard to content. If I could learn to portray the look on Uncle Harvey Lee's face and the profound delivery of his words when he talks about his favorite author I would truly think of myself as a good writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment