Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Nothing Fuzzy About These Peaches

Ledbetter Marlowe had things stirred up again this morning. He came into the barbershop with about a dozen peaches he had fresh picked.

"Y'all got to taste these," he said. And he begun to hand out the biggest peaches we had seen this year. "Now I got to warn y'all you need to eat them leaning over a garbage can they is so juicy."

Wendell Wash wanted to take his home but Ledbetter insisted everybody try one on the spot.

And they were delicious, about as good as any I have ever tasted.

When all the compliments were passed out and all the partakers had cleaned their chins and were in the little state of comfort that comes after a satisfying treat, Herbert Blend spoke up. "How do you do it, Ledbetter. What do you do to produce such a fine peach?"

"Well, I reckon I might as well share my secret. Them peaches all come from the tree that I planted next to my outhouse."



Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle

1 comment:

  1. The humorous story is told gravely; the teller does his best to conceal the fact that he even dimly suspects that there is anything funny about it.
    Mark Twain

    ReplyDelete