Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Sushi

When I was growing up the only fish we ate was what we could catch in the lake or rivers around here. And we put it in a frying pan and cooked the living daylights out of it. Today we got the new restaurant that serves raw fish. They call it sushi.

They were talking about it down at the barbershop this morning and I was surprised at how many of the old timers liked it. Most turned up their nose to the thought of such a thing but those who favored it were pretty strong in their approval.

Marcus Findlayson, a man who says what ever he thinks of and tends to be somewhat silly, claimed he heard about sushi years ago. He said old man Redmond's cat, Tomboy, told him about it. One day he went past the Redmond house and saw Tomboy sitting beside the Redmond's goldfish pond lunching down on a gold-red beauty. Marcus claims the cat was singing to the tune of an old Eddie Cantor tune, "If you knew Sushi, like I know Sushi, Oh, Oh...."

This has me disgusted, not because it's so inane, but because I can't get it out of my head. All day long I keep hearing those words and that tune.


Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle

1 comment:

  1. When I was growin up we used to call sushi bait.

    ReplyDelete