Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Monday, September 23, 2013

Questions

I met a couple of memorable people at the reunion; one was a woman, the other a man. Today I want to talk about the man. One of the ways you can tell how smart a person is is by the questions they ask. This fellow had traveled all over the world, worked in several disciplines, and had been a great success in life. He never said that but it was obvious by the questions he asked. One fellow was telling about his extensive travels and this fellow knew about every place that man was bragging about going to. He asked questions like: Is that old City Hall building still standing on the corner of Hall and Main? and does the ferry still run across to Neverland? Another man was talking about how he had invented a device to save on gasoline for cars and trucks. The question man asked about the ratio of fuel savings to the cost of the purchase price and wondered if there was difficulty in obtaining a little part that was required to have zinc as a major component.

I found myself next to this fellow in the dessert line.

"Have you visited all fifty states?" I asked.

"Yes," was his reply. "Where are you from?"  I told him Harper, Mississippi.

"Does that old fellow who writes a daily blog still live there?" he asked.

"Not today," I told him.

I could tell by his smile he knew who I was.



Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle

1 comment:

  1. Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence.

    ReplyDelete