Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Friday, December 13, 2013

Childhood Yens

When I was a young'n most of us kids had little things we wanted, things that were simple by today's standards. My cousin, Eb, wanted a fake antenna for his bicycle. He knew it would not produce a radio signal but he still wanted it. A girl that lived down the street wanted a doll that you could feed water from a tiny bottle and make that doll wet its pants. I don't know if she ever got one, but she did end up with eight children so I reckon she changed enough diapers. My little fantasy was brought on by a radio ad that came on most every day. It was for Super Suds, a product for washing clothes. They stated that you could get two truckloads of suds from a single box. I wanted to purchase a box and take it down to a small pond behind the house. There were no fish in there and I could see no harm in tossing the box of soap in and running a water hose down to stir up the foam. I never accomplished this little experiment because every time I saved up enough money for Super Suds, something else caught my eye and I came home with comic books or candy. I guess I'll never know if the ad was truthful.



Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle
Coming soon: More Tales of Harper (an ebook on Amazon)

No comments:

Post a Comment