Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Surprise

A bunch of years ago I was in New Orleans on Christmas Eve. I was down there for a storytelling group I still belong to. My usual stories were about fishing and I alway wore fishing clothes to do the telling. This was during the time when they had first struck oil on my property and I hadn't spent any of the money. I was married to my third wife, Trixie, who was a little bit more materialistic than my first two. Trixie had been after me to buy her a new car, so I dropped into the Mercedes place on my way out of town. I reckon the salesmen saw what I was driving and decided I wasn't worth fooling with 'cause I stood a long time by myself just checking out cars. Finally, I overheard them laughing and they called out a young fellow who looked like he just got out of high school. He was real polite and asked if I had any questions. I said, "No thanks. I'll just take this one and that one over there." The other guys almost fell out. The young fellow got a big commission that day. I saw to it he would get it all. Now before y'all think I'm too extravagant I want y'all to know I still drive both those cars. Every year we send that young car salesman (I reckon he ain't that young anymore) a real nice Christman card with a little gift card in it.



Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle
Coming soon: More Tales of Harper (an ebook on Amazon)

No comments:

Post a Comment