Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Friday, December 20, 2013

War Bonds

After me and Dorothy was married and we moved into the big house, we spent a lot of time exploring through closets and drawers. We found a lot of old stuff like shoes and clothes. But one of the most interesting things we came upon was a bunch of World War II bonds. Dorothy is younger and doesn't remember the drives to sell these bonds, but I do. As I remember almost every movie had an ad with some movie star urging everybody to buy war bonds. And we had drives at school to collect paper, metal, and such for the war effort. The prize for the most poundage was always a bond. My daddy must have bought a lot before he went in to the service and then I reckon Momma took over from there because of how many we found. When I told the guys down at the barbershop about my find, a number of them suggested I find out the value and cash them in. They would have to be worth a lot for me to give them up since they are a little connection to my family and to my youth. That kinda thing is irreplaceable.



Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle
Coming soon: More Tales of Harper (an ebook on Amazon)

No comments:

Post a Comment