Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

More Going-ons in Harper

Today, we had our Christmas Parade. It starts down in the Harper Baptist Church parking lot and runs down Main Street past Harper Lake Baptist Church past all the businesses and ends up in the little park on the lake. Same route every year. Same Sandy Claws every year. Same costume. Same manger scene on the back of a flat bed truck. Same beads and whistles and candy canes thrown to the kids. But this year Sandy rode on a brand new truck. Red as his outfit. They been trying to get me to play Sandy Claws for years, but it's too late now that I'm 78. Of course, Dewitt Haysmith, who plays Sandy now, is more'n 80. It shows cause he has a hard time holding his balance on the back of that truck. He made it though. Not so sure about next year. The Harper Lake Baptist choir sang "O Holy Night' with Minnie McDonnell singing the loud part. She thinks she's an opera star. I think they call them divers or something, but she ain't. All in all everything went real good. I think next year I may take 'em up on their offer and be Sandy. I got some ideas that may shake things up a little. Hope I'm still getting Hollis to write this next year so y'all can hear all about it. Just for a hint, we will have real sheep, cattle, and such. I guess ain't much chance of camels, but you never know.
Tomorrow: Oprah Arrives in Australia

Hollis' funny name of the day:
Wilmer Durr is an assassin

1 comment:

  1. Sounds a heck of a lot like the parade we have in Madison. Though we have the silhouette of a creche scene not in the parade, but lit up in the Square. Every year, I'm happy to see it back out. One of these years, it's going to fall victim to the First.

    ReplyDelete