Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Train

Well Hollis won. I'm going to Atlanta. There are things I want to see there and in Georgia, but I'm a little bid worried about leaving Harper. I ain't left in years. Dorothy come over to the big house early this morning. Willie was already there with his pickup truck. Dorothy told me to be careful and gave me a little peck on my cheek. I couldn't believe it. We ain't hardly touched one another in all the years we been friends. Willie and me talked all the way to Hattiesburg where the train was gonna stop. Willie had been to Atlanta a bunch of times and told me all he knew about it. Most of it was real scary--roads with cars stop and go for mile after mile. That gave me something to think about on my train ride. We got to Hattiesburg, rode past the university and through the downtown till be come to the depot. We had a few minutes before the train got there. When the train did pull in, a man who worked there looked at my ticket and told me to walk about fifty feet down and wait there. Hollis had fixed it up so I had a little room of my own. Willie walked with me and helped me load my suitcase on the train. A real nice porter took me to my room and put my suitcase in a special place. He told me as soon as the train was moving he would be back to tell me how everything worked. I warn't in my room more'n a couple minutes till the train started moving. I looked out the window and seen Willie waving to me. What come in my mind was would I ever see him again.
Tomorrow: Train Ride

Hollis' funny name of the day:
Ward D. Ringo has a lot of explaining to do

No comments:

Post a Comment