Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Bag Boy

After my daddy wandered off in the woods and never come home, I decided to quit school and go to work.
I really didn't have to. My grandpa had enough money to keep my mama and little brother and me up, but
mama wanted to live with her mama and daddy they didn't have much money. So when I were in grade seven and 1/2 , I give up on schooling and went out into the world of making my own way. Mr. Ledbedder down at the Harper Food Store taken me on as a bagboy. Back when I were in school I were learning to talk good and talked better'n I do today. My mama and daddy talked better'n I do. And my first two wives talked good English too. I reckon after my second wife got hit by that streetcar in New Orleans is when I sneaked into the way I talks now. My fishing buddies and peoples I whittle with talk bad English like I do, so I reckon that's what happened. Hollis and Dorothy don't care. They like me like I is, so what do I worry?
Tomorrow: How I Run Into Bethel

No comments:

Post a Comment