Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Sunday, July 3, 2011

The War Gets Over

We knowed it were close to the end, but the day they announced it still came on us with a Bam. Me and my cousin was in the movie theatre. I got off from work after school to take him 'cause his mama were a little sick and they wanted to keep him away from home. I reckon she were having another baby or something, I forget. Anyway we was sitting in the Palace Theater and heard this loud noise outside. They turned the lights on and the manager come out in front of the screen and told us the good news. He said the movie were over for the day but on the way out we could get a ticket for another day. We was so excited I reckon we forgot to get a ticket. The first thing I remember when I got on the street were a car with a washtub hanging out the window. A fellow I knew from out in the county were beating on it with a great big spoon. I don't think I has ever seen a spoon that big since then. One man stuck a trumpet out the window of his car and blew like he were Gabriel. Peoples were yelling and screaming and a bunch of guys used the excitement to plant kisses on some of the girls. I don't reckon any come home from a war ever got so much attention. We was all real happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment