Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Emma Jean

Back during WWII there were a girl living in Harper what were real big. I reckon she weighed over five
hundred pounds 'cause they claimed she had to go to the cotton exchange to get weighed on their big scales. She worked at this place called The Beanery which were right next door to the depot. Probably warn't a good idea for her around all that food. My daddy never would let us eat there, before he went off to war, 'cause he said the food were bad and unhealthy 'cause of all the grease in it. Emma Jean lived at home with her mama and I reckon around the time I'm telling about she were around twenty-five year old. She had a old Ford automobile what she drove to work and when she were in it the side she were sitting on come close to dragging on the ground. Sometime at night us young folks would wait in the bushes across the street from her house 'cause when she hit her drive way sparks would fly up from the car bottom hitting the concrete. What I'm gonna tell about is how Emma Jean disappeared one day and sent Harper into a tail spin.
Tomorrow: A Stranger in Town

1 comment:

  1. Poor Erma. I've overeaten my share, but never weighed a car down creating sparks.

    ReplyDelete