Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Friday, July 8, 2011

How I Run Into Bethel

It are hard to believe, when I look back on it, how me and Bethel never come across one another until I got that job at Harper Food Store. She lived way out in the county and back then it warn't real unusual not to know somebody if they warn't living right in town. But her daddy's mama did live in town and one summer Bethel come in to stay with her. Her grandma were having some kind of stomach problem and needed somebody to cook for her. Bethel always were a good cook. Part of my job at the grocery store were to bring food to customers what couldn't come in to get it. Since Bethel were all tied up cooking I taken her phone-in order to the back door of where she were staying. Was I struck by lightning? Not real lightning but love lightning. And I ain't never got over it. Bethel warn't too sure. I reckon she wanted somebody more than a bag boy at a grocery store. But peoples say I got a special charm and I reckon they right 'cause I sweet talked her into marrying me and we was a real happy couple for several years. Makes me sad in one way to think of my Bethel, but in another way it gives me a special joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment