Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Cornbread



Now, I been eating cornbread all my life. I reckon it may have been the first solid food I ever put in my mouth. But I don't never order cornbread if I eat out (which ain't very often.) Eating at Dorothy's Cafe ain't eating out 'cause it's the same food Dorothy fixes up at the big house when the cafe are closed. What I'm trying to say is I know good cornbread when I eats it. Back when I were just a little snapper my grandma and my mama used to take a glass and fill it half-full with either milk, butter milk, or clabber. Then they would break up cornbread left over from dinner (noon meal) and eat it with a ice tea spoon. They called it "crumble-in". I likes mine straight with lots of butter. And I mean real butter. I asked Dorothy if she would let me put her recipe on this blog and she said she didn't reckon she would. However, she has a backup recipe what she uses ever now and then just to be different. She said I could tell y'all that one.


1 cup of white self rising corn meal
1 tablespoon of self rising flour
1 small can cream style corn
three tablespoons mayonaise
one baseball size onion chopped fine
Jalapeno peppers to taste ( I use 15 to 20 slices and chop them up)
two or 3 eggs (I use the third egg if is not soupy enough)

Pre-heat pam or greased iron skillet and add cornbread
cook at 350 for thirty minutes.

depending on the size of your skillet, you may have to cook it a little longer

Enjoy with butter OR blackburn syurp

No comments:

Post a Comment