Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Spare the Rod

Way back when I was in school, the teacher used to apply what they call corporal punishment. They mostly used a paddle. Sometimes the teacher would get the shop teacher to drill holes in it. The idea was to cut down on wind resistance for a quicker smoother swing. I always figured it was to make the pain from the hit more severe. One teacher used a rubber tube. Today people won't allow spanking. They say children can be controlled with more temperate measures. I have no idea what those measures are but the results are there for everyone to see. Now I ain't saying we need to go back to all that spanking (there was a lot of it in my day and I always thought my teachers enjoyed a little too much.) But I am saying people need to figure out some way to get people to act a little better.
I never spanked my kids and they turned out pretty good. The oldest boy is in California and we haven't heard from him in  years, but he's a busy movie star lawyer and kinda turned his back on Harper and his upbringing. The other boy got back together with us a few years back and he's real regular on writing and gift sending. My girl turned out good enough. She has overcome marrying the wrong man, three different men, and has settle down with a right steady fellow. She is even trying to get that FALSTAFF tattoo removed from her forearm. I guess my point is most people will find their way if you give them a little direction at the start of their journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment