Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Monday, May 27, 2013

The Sound of Oil

I know a woman who can't stand the sound of a piano. It just grates on her nerves somehow. It has always been funny to me how some people can think a soprano singing a Verdi aria is one of the most beautiful things they have ever heard and some people would rather listen to cats fighting. Other people enjoy the sound of a car revving up in a driveway and while some go nuts when they hear it. Just yesterday, Mazie Middlefog stopped me on the street and complained about the noise from one of my oil wells, one that lies close to her property line. She doesn't have mineral rights so makes no profit from the flow of oil anywhere. She told me the sound of the pumping was keeping her awake at night and asked me if it didn't wake me up too. I told her yes, sometimes it wakes me up, but I just smile and go back to sleep. I'm afraid, from the look on her face, she didn't like the sound of my voice at least at that particular moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment