Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Friday, October 11, 2013

Good People in This Country

Dorothy and I are in St. Louis. We did have a little adventure getting here. I drive an old Mercedes (1995.) I love it because it is comfortable on the road and gets real good milage. Dorothy has been after me to get a new car since before we were married. Her big objection to my old car is the fact there is only one cup holder between the seats. Well actually it's more than that but that's the one I hear most often. Her next suggestion was we drive to this wedding in her car, a much newer one. I wouldn't hear of it. She may have been right. We stopped over night because I was a little tired and my vision was getting blurry. This morning the car wouldn't start. It's a diesel and the glow plug light was not coming on. Luckily the place we stopped had a MB dealership. They didn't have the parts we needed but phoned ahead to St. Louis. The car ran just fine once it was started so we made it in plenty of time for the dealer to take a look at the problem. They sat us down, gave us coffee and drinks, and even brought in a plate of fried chicken and potatoes (they have a catered lunch for employees every Friday.) The car couldn't be fixed till the next morning (waiting for the part) so they gave us a loaner (no charge.) The people along the way couldn't have been nicer. I told Dorothy the only problem was they were so nice I would have to drive to St. Louis the next time I needed a new car. Don't worry. I ain't ready to give up on my old '95 just yet.


Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle

1 comment:

  1. I guess cars are a lot like people. Just because they get a little older doesn't mean they need replacing.

    ReplyDelete