Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Boy, the Horse, and the Lawn Chair

We had a pretty bad accident in Harper County yesterday. Philo Wadswing was sitting in his lightweight lawn chair watching his young grandson parading around the pasture on his horse. When the boy got tired of riding he came up to where his grandfather was sitting and proceeded to tie the horse's reins to the chair. Philo warned him that this wasn't a good idea. The boy did it anyway. It wasn't a full minute till the horse saw something that interested him and took of for it. The chair collapsed and one of the aluminum rods stuck in Philo's upper leg. He is still in the hospital. Philo's wife, Clarabelle, told him he needed to sell that horse. Philo said, "There ain't no way in hell I'm selling my horse, but if I though I could get anything for that boy I'd start putting ads in the Harper Bee tonight." He was just kidding. I think.



Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle

2 comments:

  1. “Every child senses, with all the horse sense that's in him, that any parent is angry inside when children misbehave and they dread more the anger that is rarely or never expressed openly, wondering how awful it might be”

    Benjamin Spock quotes

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I have a the most respect for horses. They are beautiful but they are BIG. And they sniff out someone like me who is a scaredy cat.

    ReplyDelete