Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Monday, October 28, 2013

Making Our Grass Greener

When I was a boy I wished every winter for snow. And about every seven years my wish was fulfilled.  I wished the clouds on the horizon were mountains like they had in cowboy movies and far off lightening was canon fire. Boy stuff. Most things were impossible to change but kids in our town overcame the lack of snow with sleds with wheels. There was a hill on the street that ran in front of my grandmother's house. It was our answer to a snow covered landscape and it was there for us all year round in all kinds of weather. To keep us from "sledding" in the street my daddy got the mayor of Harper to send a crew out to patch up the sidewalk that ran down the hill. They made it smooth as could be and I don't remember every flipping because of a crack or pothole. I wonder if kids who lived in colder climates wished they could live where they didn't have to shovel snow or dress like Eskimos to walk to school. I reckon some did and some never considered it. I never came across a kid here who didn't want it to snow more often. Since I have grown up I can't recall any adult here in Harper that had such a wish.



Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle

2 comments:

  1. The rare snow was wonderful. Schools closed, Snowball fights. Snowmen. Snow ice cream. As well as sledding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a child growing up in Florida, I thought that making a snow angel must have been the most magical thing ever. Then to really experience snow as an adult -- ugh. Wet and cold.

    ReplyDelete